Regular, purposeful homework is an essential part of a student’s education. Homework is an integral factor in fostering the academic achievement of students and in extending school activities into the home and the community. Regular homework provides opportunities for developmental practice, drill, the application of skills already learned, the development of independent study skills, enrichment activities, and self-discipline. Homework should provide reinforcement and extension of class instruction, and should serve as a basis for further study and preparation for future class assignments.
- Completing assigned homework as directed and in the spirit in which it was assigned.
- Returning homework to the teacher by the designated time.
- Submitting homework assignments that reflect careful attention to detail and quality of work.
- Devoting a minimum of 30 minutes each day to reading as an additional part of the homework assignment.
NOTE: Students can receive additional help through the Homework Helpers Program, which includes the Dial-A-Teacher program, at 305-995-1600, Monday through Thursday from 5:30 P.M. to 8:30 P.M., WLRN, Channel 17.
Students may also access Miami-Dade County Public School’s web page at:
While it is understood that parents are not responsible for providing a great deal of assistance to their child in completing homework, there is still much that parents can do to promote good study habits.
Parents’ responsibilities include:
- Providing an environment conducive to study.
- Providing continued interest and concern for the child’s successful performance in school, through, encouraging and supporting the child in his/her performance of homework assigned.
- Indicating an interest in assignments and assisting, if possible, when requested by the child, but not to include performing the work for the child.
- Supporting the school in regard to the child being assigned homework.
- Requesting assignments for the child when short-term absences are involved.
- Assuring that the child reads for a period of at least 30 minutes each day in addition to any other assigned homework.
* Excerpt from School Board Rule 6Gx13- 6A-1.23